Sunday, June 28, 2015

IMCdA aquabike. Report is longer than my race.

My A race going into the season was IMTX however after a cold-induced fatigue funk and poor Oceanside showing, I decided IMCdA would allow me more time to prepare. I don't regret that decision one bit.

My preparation for IMCdA was by far the best I have ever had going into an Ironman. Kevin, you work magic! Bike power was solid and I logged over a dozen 2hr runs. Swim was in maintenance mode but I wasn't looking to win the swim. My goal was to have a solid smart race and I truly believe if I was able to do that a Kona spot would be in reach. I have been within 90 seconds of that golden ticket and going into this race I felt prepared to take it to the next level.

Race week
On Friday I started to get total body muscle cramps. That night I was breaking out in cold sweats. I tried to keep the positive MOJO flowing so chalked it up to caffeine withdrawal. The night before the race I was up with a dry cough that I convinced myself was dry air or allergies.

Swim 60:xx
This was the best part of the day. My buddy and teammate, Andrew, and I started together and came out of lap 1 side by side. Felt like team ITU racing. Fist bump and we were back at it for lap 2!
This is where my day started to unravel. Cough came back with a vengeance. I was having trouble keeping my breathing consistent and then came a wicked headache.

Bike
Immediately my power was down. Felt like a struggle to push my goal power. I kept telling myself that it would come because I've had similar feelings in the past and after a bit my power would be up. I dialed it back slightly and stuck with my hydration and nutrition plan. Things seemed to be on the up when the gradual climbs felt ok. I was staying hydrated and had a good pee. Around mile 45 stomach cramping started then up it all came. Vomited breakfast (eaten 3.5 hrs before race start) and 2 bottles of coke all over my right leg and right arm. M2 rinses off well BTW. Trying to give my stomach a rest I got out of aero and didn't take in anything for about 30 mins. Still cramping I needed to get something in or I would be done regardless so I tried water. Up it came. A gel, up it came. More time then tried again. Same results. My friend and coach, Kevin, passed around mile 60 and despite his encouragement I had nothing left. My stomach shut down, my legs felt like jello, and my entire body felt achy. I entertained the thought of lying on the side of the road to rest and then try again, but it didn't seem worth the risk. So, I decided to head for the hotel, feeling defeated and shameful.

Right around this time I saw Andrew riding on the run course and I rode on over (yes this is how we got 4min/mile run splits). He had crashed and had abrasions all over him and a busted up bike. I felt broken and the sight of Andrew literally broken made me want to tear up (which I actually did when I found out Kevin had to pull out too).

Keeping perspective can be hard when so much is dedicated to a single day, aiming for one shot at perfection. It turns that I was sick with a virus from before the start of the race. It's been a week of fevers, night sweats, coughing and green phlegm. I'm just now getting over this. It wasn't the heat or race nutrition related stomach issues. My immune system was very likely compromised from a combination of any or all of these factors: dropping too much weight too fast, excessive heat training, sick exposures at work and working night shifts. Wouldn't have started if I was feverish on race morning. I feel fortunate I was able to toe in at all.

Thanks for all the love and support! I'm grinding my teeth thinking of my next plan of attack!

Best,
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment